The latest research proves what so many of us have known for eons: we should all do yoga for PMS, period pains and hormonal mood swings.
Scientists at King’s College London have reviewed every yoga study on the subject over the past 20 years and come to the conclusion that:
- Yoga improves irregular and painful periods for women aged 13-45
- It reduces back ache, cramps, anxiety, stress and anger
- Concentration is improved
- Hormonal levels are affected by the yoga breathing and poses, making women better able to deal with stress and mood swings
The study was published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, a peer-reviewed medical journal covering alternative medicine.
So which positions?
The researchers found that the yoga asanas (or postures) that are particularly beneficial for easing PMS, period pains and hormonal mood swings are:
- cobra (as in our picture)
In fact, our yoga teachers tell us, any pose that stretches the abdomen (so camel, bow and bridge as well as the three mentioned above)) is just great at period time.
To book go to our yoga page, or simply give us a call on 01590 670955 and we can book you in.