With the government guidelines to wash our hands scrupulously to the tune of two verses of Happy Birthday, DoTerra’s OnGuard blend of essential oils is perfect in this current climate, providing a potent protective hand wash and all-natural alternative to hand sanitisers. In a study in America the OnGuard essential oil blend has been clinically proven to work as antiviral protection
OnGuard from DoTerra is a protective blend of wild orange, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary. Available as a 100% pure essential oil mix or as a hand wash, it’s a must-have in every household right now! Not only does it offer a non-chemical alternative to hand sanitisers and soap, it can be used to clean surfaces or can be diffused in a room to inhibit pathogens.
A study in Oklahoma, conducted in vitro (in a lab), suggests OnGuard can both protect against influenza viruses and decrease their spread. In an article published in 2015 in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine* the authors wrote: ‘The lack of toxicity and potent specific viral inhibitory activity suggest [DoTerra OnGuard] essential oil may be helpful as a possible antiviral drug for control and treatment of influenza virus infection. It could potentially be used as a non-toxic way to cleanse surfaces, or dispersed to eliminate aerosolized virus particles in confined areas. Since the oil is currently used as a food supplement, oral administration, once the pharmacokinetics are determined, may provide therapeutic benefit during infection.’
OnGuard is a blend of the following essential oils, all Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade which means they are 100% pure, unadulterated and can be taken internally as well as used topically:
- Eucalyptus contains strong purifying properties and, with its sharp, soothing, cooling vapour, is much used (in for instance, Olbas products) for relief of nasal and bronchial congestion.
- Cinnamon supports healthy metabolic function and helps maintain a healthy immune system, can repel insects and with its warm spicy favour is frequently used in mouth rinses and chewing gums.
- Wild orange peel provides a strong, sweet, uplifting and energising citrus aroma.
- Clove bud adds a freshening, cleansing element, especially good for mouth hygiene.
- Rosemary’s herbaceous and energising scent is frequently used in aromatherapy to rejuvenate and restore.
Tips for use of the essential oil
- Add a few drops to a diffuser.
- Add to water for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner.
- Rub into wrists.
- Soak sliced apples in water and a few drops for a healthy, immune-boosting snack.
- Insert into soft gels to take as a protective food supplement.
The BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine publishes peer-reviewed articles on complementary health studies designed to replace or complement conventional therapies. To read the full article click here