At this time of year many of us get bunged up in the ear and sinus department, with ear problems particularly rife among children. Ear candling is a lovely relaxing decongestant – perfect not only for declogging ears but also a great way to relieve stress.
The ear candles are hollow tubes made of cotton, soaked in beeswax, honey and herbs. Placed gently into the entrance to the external auditory canal of the ear and lit, the candle acts like a chimney gently stimulating the ear to eliminate excess wax naturally. According to a top manufacturer, Naturhelix, while the candle is lit the air column within it gently vibrates the eardrum and its related parts at a frequency (2-5Hz) that is much lower than our audible level of 20-20000Hz. This, it is claimed, is just like a gentle massage of the auditory system.
Ear candles can be used for many conditions including:
- deafness caused by excess wax
- congested sinuses
- irritation, ringing or noises in the ears, and tinnitus
- glue ear
- colds, flu
- headaches and migraines
As their action is so gentle, they are particularly suitable for children.
- decongesting (our treatment also involves pressure point massage, further promoting facial drainage)
- soothing and clearing for ears and sinuses
- calming and deeply relaxing
Use of the candles is contra-indicated if:
* the ear drum is perforated
* grommets are in place
* the ear is infected
* you are allergic to any of the candle’s components
Jackie Halford’s ear candling treatment lasts 45 minutes and costs £38. To book