Good foot health is obviously particularly important through winter to prevent athlete’s foot and other problems – and wearing the right socks is vital. We recommend bamboo socks, particularly if you are diabetic, have Raynaud’s or other circulatory problems, or are prone to fungal infections and nails. Here are some tips on choosing the right socks from foot practitioner Lorna Pullman, from Foot Health First.
- Wear socks with shoes as they are important for absorbing moisture and reducing the risk of blisters and fungal foot infections.
- Always buy the best you can afford – they will be more durable and better at wicking away any moisture.
- Choose natural fibres – cotton for summer, wool for winter, but also look for bamboo, charcoal and silk. All provide comfort, dryness and redzuce the risk of fungal or bacterial infections.
- The higher the needle count (fabric density), the more durable the socks will be.
- Buy the right size – too small and toes will claw, too big and blisters can occur. One-size socks won’t give you the best fit.
- Socks shrink in the tumble dryer so make sure they still fit.
- Check the elasticity – if you have diabetes, poor circulation, swollen legs etc then an ‘easy fit’ or ‘soft-top’ style is better as it will not restrict the foot.
- The best socks also come with additional features to improve your comfort, so also look for cushioned soles, reinforced heels, seamless socks, arch support and so on.
We recommend BAM bamboo socks
They are not only beneficial for foot health, bamboo is environmentally and ethically good too. Here are some of its great credentials:
- natural & 100% organic
- safe for diabetics
- vegan friendly
- soft and gentle fabric (ideal for diabetics)
- aids circulatory problems
- keeps feet warm in winter and cool in summer
- moisture wicking
- naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal
- provides UV protection
- no artificial chemicals
- gently cushioning
- fast growing, providing a greater yield than other materials socks are usually made from such as cotton, and needs less water
Our BAM socks cost £5.99 per pair or £18.50 for a pack of 4
Further details of Lorna’s feet treatments can be found at: www.foothealthfirst.co.uk