Whether it is being diffused, taken internally, or applied topically, lemon essential oil has so many uses and benefits that no household should be without it
With its clean, fresh, citrus aroma, lemon is known for its purifying properties. Often used in cleaning products and air purifiers, it has distinct cleansing and deodorising characteristics that make it a popular choice for cleaning surfaces and purifying the air. As a versatile oil lemon also has the ability to aid in digestion and support healthy respiratory function when taken internally.*
Tips on how to use lemon essential oil for maximum benefits
- Add lemon essential oil to your water for a refreshing taste or as an alternative to sodas and sugary drinks. When taken internally lemon oil can also naturally cleanse the body and aid in digestion.* You can even add a drop of lemon essential oil and sliced fruit to your water for a delicious infused flavour.
- Whether you like working on your bike, your car or projects in the garage, you know the frustration of trying to get black grease off your hands. No matter how hard you scrub with soap there always seems to be a greasy residue left behind. Give your soap a little extra cleaning power by adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to your soap mixture, and give your hands a good scrub.
- Have you ever tried using lemon oil for skin? It turns out lemon essential oil can help exfoliate your skin. When incorporated into your skincare routine lemon oil can help give your complexion a refreshed, healthy looking glow. To make your own homemade exfoliant scrub, combine 4–5 drops of doTERRA lemon essential oil to a small amount of oatmeal and water. As you apply the lemon oatmeal scrub to your skin you will feel the cleansing and refreshing properties of lemon oil working to exfoliate and clean your skin.
- When diffused lemon essential oil provides an uplifting environment and promotes a positive mood. Due to the chemical make-up of this oil it has been shown to help improve mood with an energising and invigorating aroma. If you want to diffuse lemon oil, use 3-4 drops in the essential oil diffuser of your choice. Diffusing lemon essential oil will also help cleanse and purify the air and surfaces in your home. Whether you are trying to eliminate airborne odours, or just like to keep your house smelling fresh, bright, and clean, Lemon is an optimal choice for diffusing—on its own or in a diffuser blend. Looking for a good lemon essential oil diffuser blend? Add 2 drops of lemon, 1 drop of lime, 1 drop of lavender, and 1 drop of rosemary to your diffuser for a ‘clean summer kitchen’ aroma.
- The cleansing and preserving qualities of lemon make it the perfect oil for maintaining your furniture. Whether your furniture could use a good wipe-down, a new shine or a just a little TLC, there are several uses for lemon essential oil when it comes to cleaning and preserving furniture. By adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to olive oil you can create your own non-toxic furniture polish at home. When applied to furniture lemon essential oil leaves a clean shine, prevents fine wood finishes from drying out, and can replace lost moisture in antique woods as it penetrates worn finishes. Alternatively, use a lemon oil-soaked cloth to wipe down your leather furniture to help preserve the piece, and prevent leather from splitting. When trying lemon on your own furniture, always of course apply in an inconspicuous spot before applying it to the entire piece.
- Are you a fan of lemon-infused desserts? You can add a sweet and zesty punch to your favourite treats and dessert recipes when you add a little lemon essential oil. When used properly, lemon essential oil often adds a sweet, sugary taste to desserts, without the processed sugar or other alternative ingredients.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals. Just put a couple drops of lemon essential oil on a cotton ball and rub on the tarnish to bring back the natural beauty of your metals.
- A major benefit of lemon essential oil is its purifying properties, which makes it the perfect component for homemade cleaning agents. Add to a spray bottle of water and use it as a homemade cleaning solution when you wipe down your countertops, baby high chair, bathroom sink, or anything else that needs the purifying power of lemon. To make the solution even stronger, consider adding a little vinegar. The beauty of a homemade cleaning solution made with lemon essential oil is that it doesn’t include all the chemicals that store-bought cleaners have. You can rest easy knowing that your cleaning agent won’t pose a threat to you and your family, because it is chemical-free!
- Lemon essential oil can also be very beneficial when taken internally. When seasonal changes start to bother you, try taking lemon internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort, or to naturally cleanse the body and aid in digestion.* When taking lemon essential oil internally dilute one drop to 4fl oz of water or other liquid.
- Say goodbye to stubborn, sticky residues with the help of lemon essential oil, without hours of scrubbing or using toxic chemicals. Did you peel the price tag off your new water bottle, only to find a sticky residue left behind? Does your toddler’s fascination with stickers frequently result in an adhesive mess on the bedroom wall? Add a little lemon essential oil to a rag to help you get rid of these messes (and others like them) in practically no time at all.
doTerra: the purest, best-quality essential oils
When you buy essential oils it is important to ensure that you are receiving a high-quality, pure and potent product. If you are looking for pure lemon essential oil then doTERRA offer Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) testing to make sure every bottle has the purest oil possible. We stock lemon essential oil at The Hub, plus a range of other doTerra essential oils and oil blends.
To experience the enormous benefits of doTerra’s superior essential oils, why not book an AromaTouch treatment with Juanita Duffin… It uses eight essential oils (four singles and four blends) in a specific order that help to bring balance and harmony, immune support and healing – finishing with re-energising all the cells in the body.
* NOTE: do not use any essential oil internally unless it is proven to be pure and certified to be ingested