We’ve all done it… bought flip-flops that look oh so pretty but in one wearing leave our feet in tatters. All in the name of vanity. Here are Lorna Pullman’s tips* for buying your summer flip-flops to avoid injury, pain and damage to your feet.
- You should not be able to bend or twist your flip-flops.
- Look for a contoured footbed rather than flat to create a rocker as you walk.
- They should only bend slightly at the toe.
- Look for arch support which improves stability and cushions the feet.
- Flip-flops made of cheap plastic often cause blisters, so choose leather or fabric instead.
- Ensure your toes do not hang over the edge as this can cause tripping.
- Don’t wear your favourite pair year after year, check for wear and tear and discard.
- Poorly fitting flip-flops encourage clawing of the toes, heel pain, metarasalgia (pain in the ball of the foot), Morton’s neuroma (injury to the nerve between toes), bunions and ankle injury.
- Do not wear them for gardening, sports or walking long distances.
- Do wear sturdy flip-flops around the pool or on the beach.
If you follow these simple tips, you can still enjoy wearing your flip-flops this summer
I recommend and stock flip-flops by Vionic and Strive. These can be viewed and purchased on my website or contact me to arrange a free fitting in Lymington.
Lorna Pullman, foot health practitioner
* Adapted from the American Podiatric Medical Association